Donate to your favorite charity with the Capital One No Hassle Giving Site

Monday, November 27, 2006

Sweet Potato Bread (About an hour)

Remember how I said I figured out something to do with those sweet potatoes that didn't quite become a souffle? On Sunday, I decided to see if I could turn it into sweet potato bread (kind of like banana bread). I found a recipe on www.foodnetwork.com for sweet potato bread that used mashed cooked sweet potatoes. I decided to use that as my basis. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 1/6 cups sugar
1/3 cups evaporated milk (it called for water but I happened to have some evaporated milk left over from the pumpkin pie)
1/3 cup oil
2 eggs
1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine sugar, water, oil, eggs, and sweet potatoes and mix thoroughly. Add dry ingredients and mix to combine. Add pecans and mix well. Pour into a liberally greased loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes. Cool in pan to room temperature.

* Adapted from:
Sweet Potato Bread with Pecans
Recipe courtesy Bill Kelly
Show: Sara's Secrets
Episode: Sara's Thanksgiving Secrets

MTH even liked it. He asked for me to cut a slice for him to take to work! Since TV was the reason we had these mashed sweet potatoes, I made another one tonight that I'm going to drop by her house in the morning.

If you want to try this recipe, I'm fairly certain you could try other types of vegetables like pumpkin or grated zucchini. It's a great way to clean out the refrigerator.

No comments: